One of the worst nightmares that could happen to anyone is credit card fraud since financial well-being greatly depends on how well is the person’s credit history. Every individual must know the basics on how to report if this happens by reading facts from anywhere like the Internet or you can visit the stop credit fraud website. You will surely learn important things about how to avoid it and if it happens in the future, you are certain of the steps to undertake.
This article will give you instructions on how to report credit card fraud, they are:
- Get your credit report by calling the credit agency or through online. You can get a free credit report each year.
- Go to the nearest police department and file a report of the incident. You can do this step through a phone call in various places and once the police report is done, get a hard copy.
- Immediately notify your bank and inform them to freeze all your accounts. Also, you can change the passwords and account numbers of your accounts.
- On the back of the credit card, look for the telephone number and call it to monitor all the activities of your credit card.
- Report the credit fraud to the FTC (Federal Trade Commission). Once you inform them, they can give additional information about your credit history.
- Directly notify the company of your credit card that it was misused or stolen and put the account on a fraud alert.
Additional Tips and Warnings
- When you get your free credit report, wait for a few days after the fraud to see any changes or activities of your credit card. Sometimes, it would take days after an activity will appear.
- Make sure that you did not lose your checkbooks or credit cards.
- An effective option is to have an online banking account, this will allow you to monitor the charges credited by the credit card company. If you are a victim of credit card fraud, you can immediately keep track of the activities made by the thief.
- Guard your personal and financial information fiercely and never ever give them to anyone especially from a caller. Also, your important documents like checkbooks, credit cards and other important papers should be secured, the most important thing that you must keep in mind is for no other person to know much about your personal information.
When you report a fraud to various agencies, make sure you are not giving too much information. You can disclose your SS number to a police department and your bank only.
Being knowledgeable of the steps to undertake when credit card fraud happens is an extra advantage, you know who and where to inform the incident immediately.